Meeting of 30 September 2009, from 15.00 to 18.30,
and 1 October 2009, from 09.00 to 12.30
The meeting opened at 15.14 on Wednesday 30 September 2009, with Heidi Hautala (Chair) in the chair.
1. Adoption of agenda DROI_OJ 428.216v01_00
The agenda was adopted.
2. Election of the fourth vice-chair
The Chair called for nominations for the fourth Vice-Chair of the subcommittee.
Janusz Władysław Zemke from the S&D was elected by acclamation.
The Chair asked Janusz Władysław Zemke to take his seat beside her.
3. Approval of minutes of the meeting of:
• Monday 31 August – 1 September 2009 PV – PE427.981v01-00
The minutes were approved.
4. Chair’s announcements
– Camp Ashraf
– Syria: the case of Muhammad Al Hassani
Meetings during September Plenary session:
– Meeting with Ms Isil Gachet, Director of the Office of the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights on 15 September
– Meeting with Ms Luisella Pavan-Woolfe, European Commission representative to the Council of Europe on 16 September
– Meeting with Mr Trevor Stevens, executive secretary of the Council of Europe’s European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or punishment on 16 September
* * *
5. Human Rights in Russia with the participation of:
– Stanislav Dmitryevski, editor-in-chief of the Russian-Chechen Friendship Society newspaper, Pravozashchita
– Karinna Moskalenko, Human Rights Lawyer
– Sergei Kovalev, Human Rights defender
Speakers: Stanislav Dmitryevski (Visio-conference, editor-in-chief of the Russian-Chechen Friendship Society newspaper, Pravozashchita), Sergei Kovalev (Human Rights defender), Magomed Khazbiev (representative of the Ingushetian opposition, replacing Karinna Moskalenko), Jan Nordlander (Ambassador at Large for Human Rights, Swedish Presidency), Rolf Timans (European Commission), Thijs Berman, Barbara Lochbihler, Vytautas Landsbergis, Werner Schulz, Oksana Chelysheva (Russian-Chechen Friendship Society), Elsa Vidal (RWB), Leonidas Donskis, Andrei Nekrasov (Film director, United Civil Front (OGF), Russia), Eduard Kukan, Andrzej Grzyb, Metin Kazak, László Tőkés, Cristian Dan Preda, the Chair
The meeting closed at 17.30
* * *
30 September 2009, 17.30 – 18.30
The meeting resumed at 17.45
6. Debriefing of the meeting of the EU-Israel Informal Working Group on Human Rights on 3 September 2009
Speakers: Domenico Gigliotti (European Commission), Anne Koistinen (European Commission), Anna Kardfelt Melvin (Chair COMAG, Swedish Presidency), Frieda Brepoels, Rolf Timans (European Commission), the Chair
The meeting closed at 18h25
* * *
1 October 2009, 9.00 – 11.30
The meeting resumed at 9.10 on Thursday, 1 October 2009, with Heidi Hautala (Chair) in the chair
7. Question Time
Five questions were tabled and answered by the European Commission
Speakers: Ditte Juul-Joergensen (European Commission), Barbara Lochbihler, Andreas List (European Commission), Rolf Timans (European Commission), Frieda Brepoels, Christoph Wiesner (European Commission), David Martin, Metin Kazak, Struan Stevenson, John Attard-Montalto, Nicole Sinclaire, Tunne Kelam, the Chair
* * *
8. Human Rights in Sri Lanka with the participation of:
Speakers: Andrew Stroehlein (International Crisis Group), Sunanda Deshapriya (Sri Lankan journalist and Human Rights activist), Antoine Gérard (UN-OCHA), David Tirr (European Commission), H.E. Ravinatha P. Ayuasinha (Ambassador of Sri Lanka to Belgium, Luxembourg and the EU), David Martin, Barbara Lochbihler, the Chair
* * *
9. Date of next meeting
• 15 October 2009 (Brussels)
The meeting closed at 11h30
* * *
1 October 2009, 11.30 – 12.30
10. Enlarged Bureau Meeting (in camera)
The meeting closed at 12.45