Meeting of 15 October 2009, 11.00 – 13.00
The meeting opened on Thursday, 15 October 2009 at 11.18, with Heidi Hautala, Chair, in the chair.
1. Adoption of agenda DROI_OJ 429631v01-00
The agenda was adopted.
2. Approval of minutes of meeting of:
10 September 2009 PV – PE428.159v01-00
The minutes were approved.
3. Chair’s announcements
– Iran: death penalty
– External Action Service
– democratic consensus
Speakers: Barbara Lochbihler, Richard Howitt, Elisabeth Jeggle
4. Situation in UN Human Rights Council: exchange of views with H.E. Mr Alex Van Meeuwen (Belgium), HRC President
5. Exchange of views on European Union funding for democracy and human rights
Speakers: Aristotelis Bouratsis (European Commission), Rolf Timans (European Commission), Alexandra Makaroff (CONCORD), Leonor Rebassa (Human Rights and Democracy Network), the Chair, Ana Gomes, Laima Liucija Andrikienė, Véronique De Keyser, Richard Howitt, Barbara Lochbihler, Charles Goerens, Kristiina Ojuland
6. Other business
The Chair gave the floor to Vittorio Prodi and Senator Bassey Ewa-Henshaw (Nigeria), President of the organisation ‘Parliamentarians for Global Action’.
7. Date and place of next meeting
Thursday, 22 October 2009, 09.00 – 10.30 (Strasbourg)
The meeting closed at 13.03.