Meeting of 10 September 2009, from 09.00 to 12.30
The meeting opened at 9.09 a.m. on Thursday 10 September 2009, with Heidi Hautala, (Chair) in the chair.[:]
1. Adoption of agenda DROI_OJ PE427.999v02-00
The agenda was adopted.
2. Chair’s Announcements
– Next meeting of the Enlarged Bureau
– Droi delegations for 2009
– Possible re-arrangement of the urgency procedure
– Afghanistan – release of Perwiz Kambakhsh
– Recent killings in Russia
3. Exchange of views with Harn Yawnghwe, Executive Director of the Euro-Burma Office, on EU policy towards Burma following the renewed detention of Mrs Aung San Suu Kyi, 1990 Sakharov Prize winner
Speakers: Harne Yawnghwe (Executive Director of the Euro-Burma Office), Emmanouil Athanasiou (FIDH), Andreas List (European Commission), the Chair, Barbara Lochbihler, Raimon Obiols, Eduard Kukan, Nicole Kiil-Nielsen
4. Exchange of views with Ahmad Zia Langari, Commissioner, Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission, on the Human Rights situation in Afghanistan in particular following the Presidential and Provincial Council elections held on 20 August 2009
Speakers : Zia Langari (Commissioner from the Afghanistan Independent Commission on Human Rights), Rachel Reid (HRW), the Chair, David Kir (European Commission), Laima Liucija Andrikienė, Ria Oomen-Ruijten, Richard Howitt, Metin Kazak, Eva-Britt Svensson, Sari Kovala (Afghanistan Analyst Network), Barbara Lochbihler, Raimon Obiols, Andrzej Grzyb, Nicole Kiil-Nielsen
At 12 noon Andrzej Grzyb, 1st Vice-Chairman, takes the chair.
5. Exchange of views on an Update Study on the implementation of the EU guidelines on Torture, presentation by the author of the study, Anna-Lena Svenson-McCarthy
Speakers : Anna-Lena Svenson-McCarthy, Andrzej Grzyb, Raphaël Fisera (European Commission), Raimon Obiols
6. Date of next meeting
• Wednesday 30 September 2009, 15.00 – 18.30 (Brussels)
• Thursday 1 October 2009, 09.00 – 12.30 (Brussels)
The meeting closed at 12h30.